Having a tree in front of your home is a good way to increase the price of your property. It’s even better if you have two or more trees as part of a well-kempt, beautiful landscape.
This is where it’s important to know what the best trees for increasing property value are as well as how to add, remove, and trim those trees to get the most of your property value.
The Truth About Trees & Property Value
The truth is, trees do affect property value more than most homeowners know. Some people keep them for their own personal preferences, while others view trees as a must-have in terms of aesthetics.
Now, it’s quite possible to curb your appeal and increase property value by keeping your trees planted in the right place, maintained and, most importantly, healthy. On the other hand, if a tree could harm your property in any way or if it poses a risk, removing it completely is also a way to boost your property value.
Some Trees to Add Value to Your Property
There’s no global rule about specific tree species that will surely increase property value. There are two main factors that determine the best tree species for your property:
- Trees need to be suited for your planting zone
- Trees need to be resistant to diseases
Choosing the right trees means growing strong and big trees, which is an essential thing for increasing property value. The most recommended tree species in Ottawa and Eastern Ontario include:
- Northern red oak
- Sugar maple
- Color fir
- Bigleaf magnolia
How to Know If You Need to Trim or Remove a Tree
You need to remove a tree if it’s:
- 100% dead or dying – these trees pose a serious threat to you and your property, they aren’t stable and might just come down and endanger your safety and the entire property
- If the tree branches are hanging over the roof of your home, although pruning will also help here
- Tree that’s impeding on your home; If a tree is too near your home, it’s best to remove it before it becomes a liability as any tree that’s too close to your living space poses a potential threat
- Trees with split trunks
- Trees with a rotten root
Aside from these situations, most of the time you won’t need to remove a whole tree as trimming and making some changes is quite enough to make your trees more attractive to potential buyers. In fact, regular tree trimming offers some benefits such as:
- Promoting tree health – a thing that most modern house buyers of today are into and an excellent way to improve the appearance of your property
- Protecting your property and home – regular trimming keeps your property safe
If you’re following these steps, you should see positive effect on your property value.
How Croft Tree Experts Can Help
If you need to add, remove or trim your trees, the best thing to do is to leave it to professionals who have all the necessary expertise, equipment, and tools for the job as this is the best way to increase your property value and make it more attractive at the same time.
Contact us today to find out how Croft Tree Experts can help with tree removal or tree planting in Ottawa.